An exporter wishing to export goods outside Zambia must register with the Zambia Revenue Authority for a Tax Payer Identification Number (TPIN).Those who wish to export under preference under regional agreements should also register with the Customs Division in the department of International and Policy.


Goods for exportation should be declared to Customs by either an exporter or a Customs Agent. For all commercial consignments, a Customs Agent on behalf of the exporter presents a Bill of Entry (Form CE20), with supporting documents such as:
1. Supplier’s Commercial Invoice
2. Carrier’s Cargo Manifest or
3. Certificate of Origin (Optional)
4. Airway Bill (AWB)
5. Road/Rail Consignment Note (RCN)
6. Export Permits
7. Packing List, etc


An Exporter may temporarily export goods that will be returned to Zambia. These exports may be for purposes such as: for further processing, repair or returning in an unaltered state (For exports sent for repairs, on return duty is payable based on the cost of repairs). Note that specific procedures do apply.


Before exporting goods from Zambia, an exporter should ensure that the goods do not fall into the category of prohibited goods which cannot be exported, transited, sold or circulated in Zambia. Among prohibited goods are narcotics, psychotropic substances and hazardous chemical substances. Follow this link to view the list of prohibited goods: Prohibited Goods


There are some goods that are restricted from export out of Zambia, except under the authority of a relevant authority. The exporter may have to apply for an export permit from a relevant Ministry or request for authorization in writing stating the type of commodity, quantity, value, country of destination and other relevant information. Follow this link to view a list of products that are restricted from export out of Zambia: Restricted Export Products


Exports from Zambia are valued based on Free on Board (FOB) or Ex-Works, Free on Rail (FOR) or Free Carrier (FCA) for road, rail and air transport respectively. Where Export Duty is chargeable, the Value for Duty Purpose is the FOB value (in case of Foreign Currency) multiplied by the Exchange Rate.


Animal and Fish Products

Obtain the veterinary certificate from the Veterinary Department before exporting live fish and live animals (including poultry). Obtain the quality certificate from Veterinary Department before exporting meat and livestock out of Zambia (International Sanitary Certificate) in conformity with Animal Health regulations. However, it is advisable for exporters to obtain the importing country’s import regulations to establish what is required to be done before exporting. A CITES Certificate from the Zambia Wild Life Authority must be acquired, if they are Wild Animals or endangered species.

Plant Products and Seed

Acquire a phytosanitary (SPS) certificate from the Zambia Agriculture Research Institute (ZARI) in Chilanga for agriculture products such as Seeds, Stems and Fruits. A Plant Import Permit (PIP) from the importing country has to be presented by the exporter to the Inspector as this carries recommendations (or conditions) that the exporting country has to follow. Thereafter, the exporter proceeds to the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock to apply for an Export Permit.

Cereal Products

Obtain an Export Permit for prohibited food products such as maize, maize meal, maize bran, wheat and wheat flour from Ministry of Agriculture, Agribusiness and Marketing Department (Import and Export Permit Office). Exporters will also be required to obtain a Phytosanitary Certificate (SPS) from Mount Makulu Research Station before being issued with an export permit. All completed documents for agricultural exports MUST be submitted to Agribusiness and Marketing Department (Import and Export Permit Office) for the purpose of obtaining an Export Permit.

Precious and Semi-precious Stones

The Mineral Export Permit for gemstone exports should be acquired from the Ministry of Mines and Mineral Development (Mineral Export Permit). Exporters are expected to fill in form (vii). Samples of the product to be exported are to be provided for the purposes of laboratory analysis and valuation.

Chemical and Chemical Products

Obtain permit from Zambia Environmental Management Agency (ZEMA) for agri-chemicals and the Zambia Medicines Regulatory Authority for medicinal products and dangerous drugs. Acquire an Export permit from Ministry of Health for dangerous drugs.

Wood and Wood Products

A Clearance Certificate for exports of raw timber should be obtained from the Forestry Department in addition to the certification mark from the Zambia Bureau of Standards. Exporters are encouraged to obtain import requirements from the importing country, as most countries require fumigation of exported timber products.

Click here to view the list of Exporters and Export Ready Companies

Click here to view the list of Top Exporters

Member Area

Search this Site
Upcoming Events